Tuesday, March 30, 2010

holding hands


I see that I write most about beauty and music. The two things go hand in hand to me, Beauty in a white gown, swaying her hips as she walks, her face painted with silvery vines. Her pale hand fits perfectly into the strong hands of Music, A thick muscled man with dark hair and wild eyebrows. He is handsome, and tan, and he steps hard on the ground. They have a lovely relationship, as Beauty can be hard and cold, or warm and sweet...and Music is the same. He can be heavy and angry, or gentle and rich. The two of them walk the world together.

It seems to me that film makers know this relationship, as you can often see in movies when something is beautiful, there is also music to lead you into a specific emotion connected to that beauty. Or even when something is graphic, and unexpectedly beautiful, made beautiful by the music being played. I dont know if I am expressing myself very well at the moment, but if you know me then you know what I mean.

I remember a moment when I was attempting to explain happiness to my mom. She was going through her shitty divorce (still is, actually) and she was struggling to find the balance between grief and joy. I pointed out the window and told her to look at the tree outside, and become grateful for its beauty, for the leaves that had turned pink, and the sun shining on it. Be grateful, and joy will flow into your heart. She didn't understand, so I tried example after example, until suddenly my little sister drove up in her car, the stereo on. I said to my mom "Look at your daughter. Do you see how BEAUTIFUL she is?" Of course my mom nodded, not taking her eyes off my sister. "Are you grateful for her?" I asked, and suddenly my mom starts crying, and smiles. I have to admit, that when I looked upon my sister myself, tears flooded my eyes and threatened to spill over. My sister is a light in the world, a beautiful beacon of hope and joy. She moves with grace and spirit, and I can only be in awe of her.

In any case, I find that I write about the things I believe in, the things that strike me as some kind of Truth, and though I repeat myself, or the subject of my writing, these are the subjects that consume my spirit. Love for those in my life, Beauty as a way to God, and Music being the bridge between everyone and everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment