Wednesday, March 30, 2011

summer in the country


Today feels like Summer. The sun was full for the first time in months, and even the breeze is balmy and warm. I went barefoot for the first time since November. It smells like Summer, like grass and hot asphalt and fresh foods. I can't wait for freckles on my shoulders and the river in my hair. I didn't know how much I missed it.
Summer in Grass Valley is the only time it comes alive. Other seasons just pass, with no real plans and no real ambitions. Life just happens to people here, for all the other seasons of the year. But Summer... Summer carries with it some kind of magic, some spell that falls over the county and wakes it up. The hippies plant their vegetables and pot, the hick boys go 4-wheeling and dirt-biking. The pretty high school girls have their Summer flings while the old retired couples knit on their porches and watch their grandchildren run through the sprinklers. People party and barbeque and go camping on weekends. Parents take their kids to sporting events and concerts and sleepovers. Summer jumps from hand to hand like a chain letter until everyone is smiling and fanning themselves.
I know it's only the beginning of Spring, but today it felt like Summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment